Tuesday, August 23, 2016

Baseball and sharing your religious beliefs online

Yes, these two are related, according to Warner Wallace.

"If you’ve ever interacted with hostile atheists online, you’ve probably been frustrated at times and wondered if your efforts were worthwhile at all. At times like this I try to remind myself of the three reasons anyone “shuns” a truth claim; many of us are committed to our position for other than rational evidential reasons (that’s true for everyone, including Christians). It’s important to see your efforts to reach the opposed as a baseball game rather than a tennis match. The goal isn’t points, it’s advancing people around the bases. You’re not alone on the court, you’ve got help on the field. I’m not always trying to hit home runs with people who disagree with me. Instead, I am simply trying to be faithful to my Master, reflect his image, and leave people with something to think about."

3 comments:

Heuristics said...

Is there any evidence that people are getting impressed by well reasoned arguments online?

I spent 10 years doing it, I never saw any.

B. Prokop said...

"Is there any evidence that people are getting impressed by well reasoned arguments online?"

Even if they were, I'm not at all sure there would be any point to it. Remember:

You believe that God is one? Good for you! But guess what? So do the demons, and their belief does them no good.
(James 2:19, freely translated)

Victor Reppert said...

Well, I hope that doing so does some good, otherwise over ten years of work here has been wasted.