Friday, January 21, 2011

Always be prepared to give a reason for the atheism that is in you

There is some discussion on Christian CADRE on whether atheists are closed-minded and angry. Here is my response: 


I have sometimes wished that atheists had some sort of authoritative statement in their writings equivalent to I Pet 3:15, which says "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect."

We've all seen people on the internet with Angry Atheist Syndrome, who can't find any room in their minds to acknowledge any point made by Christians, however legitimate it might be. Some people abandon their faith and then go on a crusade against what they once believed in. But that is by no means universal. Blue Devil Knight, a staunch atheist, has a reputation for fair-mindedness on Dangerous Idea. On the other hand, Christians fight dirty, sometimes, too. 

All of us get angry from time to time, myself included. I think some people feel angry and betrayed if they were Christians once and then found it all unbelievable. I think the "delusion" rhetoric is also partially to blame.

3 comments:

Blue Devil Knight said...

Aww shucks. The toughest thing is to avoid escalation once it starts. The second the focus becomes people over arguments, things tend to spin out of control. On the interwebs it is really bad, because flame wars can simply be so fun at times.

Jason Pratt said...

YOU LIE! REPENT OF YOUR HERESY NOW, FILTH!!

{g}

JRP

Jason Pratt said...

I have to admit, btw, it's terribly amusing to poke what I think are holes in what someone else thinks are good arguments.

I try to remember that, when other people poke what they think are holes in what I think are good arguments! At least I can sympathize with them that much... {g}

But of course I really shouldn't be doing such things for my own amusement. That's when I become part of the problem instead of part of the solution. It's a sin in several ways.

JRP