Friday, April 15, 2022

Bronze Age Superstitions

 From Matthew Flannagan on Facebook: 


I often correspond with religious sceptics. Countless times I have been informed by people that they don't share my religious beliefs because, apparently unlike me, they are educated, intelligent free thinkers who don't believe in the bronze age stories found in the New and Old Testament.
I had another person inform me of this today.
Here is some friendly advice to people who confidently say things like that:
Suppose, I told you, that Abraham Lincoln was President of the United States during the renaissance period. Or imagine I told you that Martin Luther was a contemporary of Augustine of Hippo and lived during the fall of Rome. Would you take me seriously? I suspect you wouldn't. Comments like that would show I had no clue at all about historical events, didn't know the basic historical facts, and literally did not know what you were talking about.
In light of this, can you please take note of the following fact: the bronze age refers to the historical period which occurred from approximately 3300 BC to 1200 BC.

2 comments:

Kevin said...

Not to mention just because something is written in the past doesn't make it wrong, any more than something being written today makes it right. That's just yet another one of those brainless talking points they like to make.

Starhopper said...

I guess "Bronze Age" sounds more insulting than "Classical Civilization".

Wouldn't want to be dissing Homer, Virgil, Plato, and Aeschylus now, would we?