Monday, September 26, 2016

Chesterton on the danger of reading only one's own Bible

'Sir Arthur St. Clare, as I have already said, was a man who read his Bible. That was what was the matter with him. When will people understand that it is useless for a man to read his Bible unless he also reads everybody else's Bible? A printer reads a Bible for misprints. A Mormon reads his Bible, and finds polygamy; a Christian Scientist reads his, and finds we have no arms and legs. St. Clare was an old Anglo-Indian Protestant soldier. Now, just think what that might mean; and, for Heaven's sake, don't cant about it. It might mean a man physically formidable living under a tropic sun in an Oriental society, and soaking himself without sense or guidance in an Oriental Book. Of course, he read the Old Testament rather than the New. Of course, he found in the Old Testament anything that he wanted -- lust, tyranny, treason. Oh, I dare say he was honest, as you call it. But what is the good of a man being honest in his worship of dishonesty?" 

Here. 

2 comments:

Kuudere-Kun said...

Many views I hold are inclined to lead others accuse my of twisting The Bible to fit my biases. For one thing what my biases are have changed over the last year or so.

But more importantly, my personal Bias is for Divorce to be acceptable, my personal experiences with my Family lead me there for many reasons. But regardless I cannot and do not deny how strictly Anti-Divorce Jesus was.

B. Prokop said...

"Of course, he found in the Old Testament anything that he wanted"

Which is why we need the Magisterium, and why the Holy Spirit ensured there would be one.