Saturday, August 08, 2015

Retribution and Revenge

 Revenge and retribution are different. When you get revenge, you can do more to the person than they did to you. Retribution is limited by what the person deserves.

Gen 4: 23-24 23 Lamech said to his wives,

“Adah and Zillah, listen to me;
    wives of Lamech, hear my words.
I have killed a man for wounding me,
    a young man for injuring me.
24 If Cain is avenged seven times,
    then Lamech seventy-seven times.”

That's revenge, but not retribution.

3 comments:

Gyan said...

Can an individual justly exact retribution in the first place?
Or is it only the State that is justified to exact retribution?

oozzielionel said...

Genesis 9:6
“Whoever sheds human blood, by humans shall their blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made mankind.

Victor Reppert said...

Needles do not shed blood. Neither do electric chairs, gas chambers, or nooses.

Crucifixion maybe?