This is a blog to discuss philosophy, chess, politics,
C. S. Lewis, or whatever it is that I'm in the mood to discuss.
Sunday, September 06, 2015
On multicultural ethics
Isn't ethics just the business of determining which moral beliefs are right or wrong? Foreign cultures practice
1. Female Genital Mutilation
2. The Caste system in India
3. The forced marriage of prepubescent girls in India
4. The execution of adulterers and active homosexuals, and the flogging of women who engage in suspicious behavior in places like Afghanistan
5. The bribing of rape victims' families in South Korea.
6. The strict authoritarianism and glass ceilings of Japanese corporations.
All of these practices have a common element, they treat people unequally based on who they are. So, egalitarianism makes us on the one hand makes us want to treat other cultures as equals, and yet at the same time the very practices of those cultures that we are considering are anything but egalitarian.